Thursday, November 11, 2010

Orange-Cherry Cobbler

There are occasions upon which one needs a dessert. For such occasions, Jiffy Cooking [1967] is here for you!

IMG_4500.jpg picture by seshet27

Look at that picture, read the recipe, and tell me it is not glorious.

Orange-Cherry Cobbler
1 1-pound 5-ounce can cherry pie filling
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 package refrigerated orange Danish rolls with icing (8 rolls)

In saucepan, combine pie filling, water, and lemon juice; heat to boiling. Pour into an 8 1/4 x 1 3/4 inch round ovenware cake dish. Top hot cherries with rolls, flat side down. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) 15 to 20 minutes or until rolls are done. Spread tops with the icing that comes in the orange-roll package. Serve warm. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

IMG_4497.jpg picture by seshet27

Verdict: Pie filling and pastry. Theirs was a star-crossed love that could not be. Sigh.

When I pulled it out of the oven, the rolls looked perfect, and so I frosted them. But beneath the crispy delicious exterior lurked a cold doughy mess only apparent after I took a bite. I put them back in. They cooked for a solid 10 extra minutes. The top was almost burned, the bottom... still cold and doughy. Siiiiighhhhhhh. We dissected the rolls, separating delicious pastry and cold doughy horror, and ate it anyway.

What could have been.

4 comments:

Nonna said...

Oh, man, those look scrumptious.I love the way you happily ate to your heart's content regardless...my kind of people for sure !!!

Jana said...

Well, you can't be wasting pastries!

Kathleen said...

I have never been able to get pastries from a can to cook evenly, and it is a thorn in my side. You are not alone. Still, the concept is delicious.

Jana said...

I shall hold the fact that I am not alone in the ruining of canned pastries close to my heart, warming me through the coldness of shame and despair.